Monday, January 21, 2013

"I've Been to the Mountaintop"

Martin Luther King Jr. holds a special place in the heart of Memphis residents. Its surreal and tragic to live in the city in which MLK spoke his last words - the city that took a hero's life. Yet, as I look back on all the things he did for this city I can't help but be proud of the strong tie this city has to MLK. In his last public appearance before his death MLK gave the speech, "I've Been to the Mountaintop," at a temple in Memphis. I cant help but fall in love with the following excerpt from his speech because it acknowledges the strength of the city that I have lived in the past four years.

"I'm delighted to see each of you here tonight in spite of a storm warning. You reveal that you are determined to go on anyhow. Something is happening in Memphis, something is happening in our world."

Luke and I decided to go to the Lorraine Motel this weekend and commemorate such a great man.




No comments:

Post a Comment