Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Not farewell, but fare forward.

Well, this happened this weekend...

Crazy, huh? I walked across the stage to receive my diploma and was given my hood by my favorite professor who is also my advisor. He told me that he loved my daisy chain and, man, that could not have been a better thing to hear as I became a graduate. After the ceremony, Rhodes served us champagne and hor d'oeuvres and my family took photos and celebrated. After leaving Rhodes, we packed a little, ate some Muddys cupcakes, opened presents, and finally went to restaurant Iris for a celebratory dinner. The chef had made a personalized menu for me congratulating me on my accomplishment and the staff decorated the table with ribbons. My family and I sipped on sangria, ate mouthwatering food (their bone marrow and fried oysters were to die for), and shared our favorite college moments. Finally, most of my graduating class met at a bar on Beale and just enjoyed one another’s company before we all left each other to go to great things.

As cliché as it is, my four years at Rhodes really did fly by. I am beyond happy that I decided not to transfer a few years ago (I blame those feelings on a poor rooming situation) because my life at Rhodes has changed me for the better. My professors and classes taught me how to be more open-minded and care about what is going on in the world. Unintentionally, they taught me how to be organized, hardworking, and timely. But most importantly, my time at Rhodes strengthened my relationship with myself. Rhodes also introduced me to amazing people who I can’t imagine life without. It also introduced me to a southern lifestyle, which I have learned to appreciate and will greatly miss. It is hard to leave this place after such a life altering four years, but I know that great adventures lie ahead. So, in the words of our dearly loved college president, my goodbye to Rhodes is not a farewell, but a fare forward.

For now, I am off the the mountains of Virginia to enjoy some well earned R&R! Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. I love you!!! So so proud of you Kathryn :) can't wait for this summer together!

    ReplyDelete