Tuesday, February 19, 2013

meatball and veggie soup

Nothing much is going on around here besides the fact that I am almost done with my senior thesis (yay!) and that I'm feeling a little under the weather. When I feel sick all I want is tea, soup, and Netflix. Luckily, I have the most delicious soup recipe and I swear it cures all things. My aunt originally made me this soup when I visited her in Austin and I have not stopped making it since. It's so easy and I bet you three bucks that you already have all the ingredients on hand!

Ingredients:
-1 T of oil
-2 finely chopped garlic cloves
-2 T of freshly grated ginger
-4 cups of chicken broth
-meatballs of your choosing*
-1 or 2 freshly grated carrots
-2 green onions (thinly sliced)
-2 stalks of celery (thinly sliced)
-1/2 cup of bok choy (thinly sliced)
-1 package udon noodles or brown rice*
-salt and pepper to taste


*I use Nate's mushroom meatless meatballs - I'm not a vegetarian I just think they are delicious. Since these meatballs tend to be a little smaller I usually use 5 meatballs per serving.
**I put udon noodles or brown rice because the original recipe calls for udon noodes but I try to make a healthy swap and use brown rice instead.



In a large pot add the oil and sauté the garlic and ginger until fragrant - usually about 1 minute. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and stir in meatballs, carrots, green onions, celery, and bok choy. Simmer 10-15 minutes or until veggies are tender. Serve the soup over udon noodles or brown rice.


Feel free to play with the recipe until it is to your liking! Once I used mushroom stock and added sauteed mushrooms and hot sauce to the mix - it was delicious. Just work with it till it works for you :)


To see where this soup made its original Wildflowers & Whiskey debut click here!

No comments:

Post a Comment